Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mondays With Marv - An Introduction

This blog, which has been quiet for so very long, is being called out of silence. God put it upon my heart this past Sunday to resurrect "On My Way - Journey to Heaven" and dedicate it to a man who knows he is on his way, sooner than later.

I want to introduce you to our very close friend Marv. Marv is my earthly spiritual father. It is in great part, through Marv that my relationship with Christ has grown to what it is today. Although we are not related by blood, we are related in Christ, as we are all adopted as His sons and daughters. I look up to this man, and am quite blessed to see many similarities between Marv and my husband Jesse. Having said that, I must admit that Marv and I have similar qualities as well - actually weaknesses. We're kind of like two peas in a pod in some respects, but through God's grace we are maturing in our faith walk every day.

For the past four years Marv, and his lovely wife Carol, have been meeting with us on Monday evenings for bible study. We gather and discuss the message given the previous Sunday at our church, Blackhawk. All four of us have really grown in our faith journey together. We are dedicated to our Monday night study, and can probably count the number of Mondays missed in our 10 fingers. I am certain that each one of us can with certainty state that we are changed people. Meeting weekly, getting into God's Word with others for deep discussion transforms one's life. I am quite pleased to honestly say I have been able to leave some of my weaknesses in the dust of my earthly journey, and I know Marv can say the same.

Meeting on Monday nights is routine for us. It's a habit. The kids know it. We plan on leftovers from Sunday so we can eat dinner and start our study at 6:15 p.m. But sometimes all that we plan for and take for granted can be interrupted. Routines change. Hearts ache. Life's journey takes a turn down a new path, and for one of us the end of that path is quite clear.

Recently prostrate cancer has reentered Marv's life. The photo above was taken on Father's Day this year, when it was yet unknown what was happening inside Marv's body. We met at Crossroads Coffeehouse after church that Sunday and shared a wonderful morning together. It's the last time the six of us (including Kyle and Abby) met at one of our favorite hang-outs.

Marv is still with us, praise God for that! Within the past 6 weeks the cancer has gone into his spine and likely his ribs. The pain, as you might imagine, is pretty intense with cancer in the bones. Marv lost his appetite, was despondent, and our bible studies were cancelled. Two weeks ago it seemed as though the end was much nearer than later.

Fortunately Marv's doctors recommended Hospice. They have visited with Marv and Carol and have offered their counsel and services. Hospice brings the "pain patch". Thank God for the inventor of the pain patch! It keeps Marv going, as "going" gets moving around a bit inside their small apartment home.

With a handle on the pain Marv is in the mood to eat again, although very little due to nausea from the medications he is on. Still, he has more energy, and his spirits are much, much better. It's been a tremendous change in two weeks time, and I have no doubt it is because of prayer. We have asked friends, and they have asked friends...Marv and Carol have family and friends raising them up in prayer, and we know that where two or more are gathered in prayer God hears our voices and sees our hearts.

This past Monday, October 12, we met for bible study after a two week hiatus. As I sat across the table from Marv, he put a piece of hard candy in his mouth - my heart leapt for joy at watching him do that. I figured if Marv is eating a piece of candy he is definitely feeling better. We had an amazing talk, and I look forward to sharing more about that, but as it is near midnight and morning comes all too soon, I will close this introductory post of "Mondays with Marv".

I am not sure why God has called me to renew this blog URL, perhaps only to help myself as journaling about life's struggles certainly offers healing. It is my hope, however, that those who are praying for Marv will check in here periodically to see how he is doing and get updates. Marv and Carol do not have Internet, so it seems there is no point in starting a Caring Bridge account for Marv, and I don't feel it is my place to do so as well. If you are reading this, please lift both Marv and Carol in prayer. May God continue to shine His light into their lives and brighten the darkness that cancer brings.

"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:24

No comments:

Post a Comment